Tuesday 11 May 2010

Learning to Love Hills

I don’t like hills… mostly because I’m not much good at them.

When I’m racing, any time that I make up on the techy sections I lose threefold on the climbs. When I’m out riding with friends, by the time I get to the top of the hills, a red, puffing mess, everyone else is champing at the bit and ready to go again.

The people I know who are good at climbing tell me that they actually enjoy hills. There must be some sort of correlation.

So, my challenge is to make myself start liking hills. How do I plan to do this? Well, I’ve changed my commute home so that instead of riding straight home, I take the long route that involves lots of hills. When I’m out riding with friends, I’m going all out on the hills.

I don’t know if it’ll work or if I’ll ever like hills any more than I do just now, but I’m ravenous by the time I get home from work and my thighs are starting to look a bit different!

Jac

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds familiar. I'm going to write i heart hills on my bars in the hope of a sub conscious conversion

Pedalling Polarcherry said...

I know the feeling! I'm the same as you.
I don't know if i'll ever love the hills exactly but I know if i wasn't the last one on them i'd get more rests and enjoy the ride more as it wouldn't always be a struggle!

Julbags said...

I'm no climber either I have to say but have sort of got to the stage of "enjoying" the challenge of the up as much as the down.

I used to hate hills but I realised that on most rides I would be spending a lot more time going up than coming down and if I hated the hills then I would be hating a lot of the ride....I love being out riding so the mindset eventually changed.

I found taking the hills at my own pace rather than trying to keep up with the faster ones helped too with occasional all out efforst on shorter rides. They still really hurt sometimes though.